Traditional Grades and GPA Guidelines
All courses (except P.E. and select Independent Study Courses) are assigned letter grades based on achieved percentage points that generally fall within these breaks:
A (4) 90 - 100 % B (3) 80 - 89 C (2) 70 - 79 D (1) 60 - 69 F (0) below 60
Grade Point Averages:
- Grade point averages each semester are calculated on a 4-point scale (A=4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0).
- Only academic courses are used to compute the GPA. Courses excluded from the GPA calculation are: P.E. and Driver's Education.
- The GPA shown on the student transcript includes only work completed at University Laboratory High School.
- Pluses and minuses are not included in the GPA.
- No summer school work or college courses concurrently taken at the University of Illinois or Parkland College are included in the GPA calculation.
- The GPA is calculated using the final course grade. If a course is repeated, both final grades are reported on the transcript, but only the repeated course grade is included in the GPA calculation.
- As a general rule, only courses completed in grades 9-12 at University Laboratory High School are included in the GPA. Subfreshman classes at Uni High, with the exception of math and foreign language courses, are not included in the GPA calculation.
Class Rank: Due to our selective admissions practices, University Laboratory High School does not rank students numerically.